To buy or not to buy…that is the question!
Have you ever questioned the positives and negatives of buying vs renting a home? I know I have. How to rent or purchase a house isn’t something we get taught in school, so we pretty much have to learn everything ourselves.
Therefore, I have thought of everything you need to know about buying vs renting a house to provide you with all of the information that you need to decide which method is right for you!
Pros Of Purchasing A House
- Houses increase in value therefore once you have paid off some of the mortgage you can use the equity in your home to help buy a bigger home. Check out my blog post ‘7 Reasons Why You Should Live in a Modest Home‘.
- You can spend money on improving and decorating your home without having to ask a landlord for permission
- There is more security in buying than renting as you own your home therefore cannot be evicted unless you do not keep up with your mortgage repayments
- Payments are more predictable and more stable than renting
- There is pride in home ownership
- Once you have paid off the mortgage, the home will be yours
- Some rented accomodations do not allow pets, but if you own you can have as many pets as you want
Cons Of Purchasing A House
- Buying a house is a long term financial commitment
- You are responsible for all of the maintenance and repairs your home requires – there is no letting agent who deals with that type of stuff for you
- Buying a home requires a large deposit
- There is a lack of flexibility that comes with buying a home
- When the interest rates rise, your mortgage repayments increase
- It may not be easy to sell your home when you need to
Pros Of Renting A House
- Renting a home can work out cheaper
- You have more flexibility when you rent as you can choose the length of your lease and an extension with the help of The Lease Extension Company
- Your landlord is responsible for paying for nearly all maintenance and repair work on the property
- Low move in costs
Cons Of Renting A House
- No fixed housing costs
- You have to ask for the landlord’s approval before making changes to the property
- Monthly rent payments may increase out of the blue
- Renting will not help to increase your credit score
- Landlords usually don’t make cosmetic upgrades therefore rented properties can be outdated
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below or tweet me @BritOnABudget1!
During these difficult times, many people are uncertain about their current financial situation and the pandemic has thrown lots of …
The Best Birthday Freebies in 2021
How to create a home office without losing a room
Save money with Shopmium – App review
How to find and take part in paid clinical trials
Make money using your smartphone with BeMyEye
Heating your home for less this Winter
The form you have selected does not exist.